Friday, January 5, 2007

To the Garden I Go

This is pretty much what I want to do, moreso than anything else: to climb to the top of something and to peer at everything below me. Imagine a hawk in a fencerow watching rabbit holes. I know it's not the most social thing I could do, but I don't so much mean for it to be exclusive. It just tends to be that way. I mean, are there ever two hawks and one rabbit in a clumsy three-way scramble? There is territory to preserve.

And so here is my oldest perch, Mount Eden. In some way I feel I should leave a mark on my old territory in hopes of understanding quite how to leave it behind. I realize this is maybe more cerebral than anything a real hunter would endeavor to do, so there goes my elegant raptor allusions. I'm more of a cultivator anyway, getting at all the stuff that happens with a bunch of garden tools. Growing it up into something sensible and useful. But, um, the fencerow can stay. Every good garden's got to have a windbreak after all.

2 comments:

Dan Gr said...

mount eden: is that some sort of adam and- joke?

Sarah said...

no, the explanation is pretty mundane: it's the name of the road i grew up on. but it is kind of nice, and i've also tended some gardens there. i probably won't be discussing any instances of epic sinning, however.